A day after the ousting of Guinea’s President Alpha Conde from power, the group of soldiers responsible have gone on to warn authorities who do not succumb that they will be considered rebels.
This Monday 6 September, the country’s cabinet was ordered to attend a mandatory meeting, a statement on TV indicated, warning those who will fail to attend. The meeting is held while President Condé remains in detention, with his fate still unclear.
The UN, African Union, and regional body Ecowas have condemned the coup and called for a return to civilian rule. “I strongly condemn any takeover of the government by force of the gun and call for the immediate release of President Alpha Conde,” the UN secretary-general António Guterres tweeted.
The soldiers announced the dissolution of the constitution, closure of the borders and a nationwide curfew, BBC reported.
Col Mamady Doumbouya, head of the country’s special forces, said his soldiers had seized power because they want to end rampant corruption and mismanagement. They said regional governors had been replaced by military commanders, and the ousted 83-year-old president was safe but in detention.